Monday, March 7, 2011

Lundi Gras

As I approach my 5 year "out of college" anniversary, sad ----- I am reminded of all the fabulous collegiate experiences I had during the debauchery of Mardi Gras season in New Orleans.....

Oh the memories. Beads galore, king cake, not having class for a full week, overly potent beverages, crawfish, waiting up all night on Monday in order to make the Zulu parade on Tuesday at an ungodly morning hour --- just for a chance to catch a coveted Zulu coconut. Then washing down your hangover with beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde. It all seems like eons ago.

As I scroll through my facebook photos, I'm reminded of all the amazing friends I made at Tulane and how we got to experience for four years, one of the most unique cultures and holidays in the United States. As I go through these pictures, I see our necks waited down by a metallic rainbow of beads, some of us holding spears, stuffed animals or lacy souvenir panties that were got from the Krewes in the floats.

I remember the necessity of visiting the Daiquiri shop in order to get our "Mardi Gras Madness" extra large daiquiris with that extra shot of Everclear or Jim Beam in order to boost it's potential.

These are the experiences that make New Orleans amazing....and make the nostalgia for the "Gras" heavy in my heart during this time of year.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!


Part of the old crew.





No comments:

Post a Comment