Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tempering Chocolate

Ok so I was craving a little chocolate this past Sunday and thought I'd give my patisserie skills a try. Well, I guess not exactly patissier, more like chocolatier yum.....

A few months back husband and I had ventured to the Godiva store at Merrick Park here in Coral Gables where we'd bought some hostess gifts for some parties. My eyes however were plastered to their "chilled case" that held the oh so tasty and delectable looking Godiva Kabob. Yes, they make Kabobs.

Consisting of chocolate covered strawberries and bananas on a skewer I eagerly purchased this spontaneous looking snack like a 5 year old in a candy store. Compulsive shopper, also yes. To my chagrin the prize winning chocolate Godiva Kabob cost about 15 dollars or something absurd like that....no more brand name kabobs for me after this husband told me.

So this Sunday, I decided to take matters into my own hands and try "tempering" chocolate to dip fruit into. Tempering equals making a double boiler over your stove to melt the chocolate pieces via the steam rather than directly over the heat source. It might have looked like a bit of a chemistry project gone awry in the kitchen, but the melted results were so smooth and perfect for dipping.

Husband approved and although not skewered, my chocolate covered fruit turned out to be just as amazing.

Don't forget the parchment paper for superb nonstick results.
And don't forget to chill the dipped fruits in the fridge after.

No comments:

Post a Comment